Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Past Midnight, by Mara Purnhagen

Photobucket

Your dose of irony for the day: I finished Past Midnight at midnight last night.

Summary from goodreads.com – Let me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV…no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston—and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings. Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends—and potential boyfriends—is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear.

Rhia’s Review – When I received Past Midnight for review, I was really looking forward to reading it. The tag line, "I don't believe in ghosts. Unfortunately, they believe in me" really intrigued me. The premise of a girl with paranormal investigator parents was something I'd never read about before. Charlotte's yearnings to be normal, however, I have read before. It's a concept I've never really understood, but I understand why it resonates with readers.

I had a bit of a hard time relating to Charlotte, although I think she is a character that many other readers will identify with quickly. I have never had much sympathy for the 'poor new student', mostly because I was homeschooled since the 4th grade, and so never really had that experience. (I'm certainly not sorry for it.) Charlotte was still a very likeable character, though, and I enjoyed sharing the story with her.

I feel a little like the book was leading up to something big throughout the whole story, and when it finally arrived, it seemed to go by quickly. Maybe I just read it quickly, or maybe it was because I was tired, but I can't help but feel like something happened and I kind of missed it. But it doesn't hurt my happy memories of reading this book.

At first, I wasn't really sure how the two storylines of Charlotte's normal, school life would relate to the events happening in Charlotte's paranormal life, but in the end, they came together quite nicely.

All in all, this book was quite interesting, and a very good read, especially for fans of ghost stories.

The Recommendation – I'd definitely recommend this book to fans of ghost stories that are maybe a little on the lighter side. Also, while reading this book, I kept getting the same kind of feeling I had when reading Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell, so fans of that will probably enjoy Past Midnight as well.

The Other Books –I’m definitely interested in reading One Hundred Candles, the sequel to Past Midnight. Mostly, I'm curious as to where Charlotte's life is heading next, as the main storyline in this book was wrapped up pretty well. I'll be keeping a look out for it.

The Vitals* – Past Midnight is available in paperback at list price of $9.99.

The Links – Mara Purnhagen's Official Website

*=List Price from book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment