Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Poison Study by Maria V Snyder

 

Photobucket

 

Have you ever started a book and known as soon as you got a few pages in that you were going to love it? Well, that happened to me when I began Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder, and I was not disappointed.

Yelena is a prisoner in the Commander’s dungeon, and faces execution, but is offered a choice to live. Because it can only be offered to someone whose life is forfeit, the position of food taster is offered to Yelena. She accepts, yet Valek, the Commander’s closest friend and advisor, knowingly gives her a poison called Butterfly’s Dust, and Yelena must report to him everyday to receive the antidote, or else she will die.

The book’s plot is very well done, with enough twists and turns to keep from being obvious. There were plenty of little off-the-plot things to occupy the story, without going crazy and veering off form the point. The characters each have their own histories and motivations, some not so obvious as others. The romantic element between the main characters is, in my opinion, the perfect amount. It never overshadows the rest of the story, which is how I like my romance.

Recommendation – I’d definitely recommend this book to pretty much anyone. Except for a little coarse language and some adult content (nothing graphic), there’s really nothing to shy away from.

The Other Books – I’m going to look into Maria V. Snyder’s other books, as well as the two sequels to Poison Study, because I’m really quite impressed. This book kept me up reading at night, where I had to force myself to sleep. Not many books have done that.

The VitalsPoison Study is available in paperback for about $13.95 from Mira Books, a division of Harlequin.  According to Borders.com there is another paperback edition that sells for about $9.99.

The LinksMaria V. Snyder’s official Website      Buy the Book from eHarlequin.com (20% discount)

No comments:

Post a Comment