Saturday, October 17, 2009

Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton

Endymion Spring

 

When Blake and his sister Duck travel to Oxford with their mother, who is currently separating from their father, they find a mysterious Blank Book. Blake is pushed to uncover the centuries-old secret to gaining the knowledge that the book holds, while burning through the web of lies and and dangers surrounding it.

This book took me about three years to read. It’s not so much that it’s a bad book. It just that every other book that came into my possession was better, and more worth my time. The storyline was great, but I think it could have been executed better. It just never grabbed my interest, never made me burn with wonder at what would happen next.

The moments that are supposed to be ‘thrills and chills’ moments are really geared for a younger generation, even though (as far as I know, my research yields conflicting results.) it is a young adult book, not a children’s book. I just got kind of bored with it. (Maybe I’m so scary immune, it was darker than I thought.) I hate to sound harsh in any way about a book, because it did have its up points. But I think the characters could have had more depth, and it could have had a bit more intrigue. The ‘thrills and chills’ should have been a bit darker, more age appropriate for the group they’re marketing to.

The Recommendation – Despite the apparent harsh review, I still think this book is a good read, especially if you don’t like darker storylines.

The Vitals – Endymion Spring is available in hardback ($17.95) and paperback ($9.99) from Random House.

The Links - Random House's Official Endymion Spring webpage

No comments:

Post a Comment