Monday, March 22, 2010

Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev

Photobucket

Summary from goodreads.com

Growing up in the enchanted Thèâtre Illuminata, Beatrice Shakespeare Smith learned everything about every play ever written. She knew the Players and their parts, but she didn’t know that she, too, had magic. Now, she is the Mistress of Revels, the Teller of Tales, and determined to follow her stars. She is ready for the outside world.

Rhia’s Review – Okay, first off, Look at that cover! I mean, just look  at it! It’s GORGEOUS! I love staring at it, and it really reflects the book so well. I’m sorry. I had to gush over it for a second.

But the words inside are just as good, okay  maybe better, than the cover! I LOVED Eyes Like Stars and I’m very impressed by this sequel! It picks up right where the first left off, with all our favorite characters gallivanting off with mechanical horses. Pretty cool, huh?

We really see Bertie come to life in this book. She’s faced with difficult decisions, and is coming to fully understand her mysterious gift with words. She learns a lot about herself, and we’re right there learning with her.

But the other characters are just as important and developed, especially Ariel and those rascally fairies! (Who couldn’t love them??)

Lisa uses a lot of metaphor in this book, which was occasionally a little too much for me, but it’s nothing big. I really didn’t have any issues with this book.

I did get a little confused sometimes by Bertie’s magical journey’s and dreams. However, I was reading rather sporadically, because I was sick, so I know I missed a lot of things, which is my fault, not the writing. When I looked back over it, it would have made perfect sense, if I hadn’t left off in the middle of a chapter for like a week. (Try not to do that.) I might have to read it again before the final book, to make sure I didn’t miss anything important.

So essentially, everything about this book is great! The cover, the storyline, the characters, and Lisa is a really nice person! (You’ll really see why in a little bit.)

Now, you might want to head on over to that link in the left sidebar – and enter to win a copy of Eyes Like Stars!!!

 

The Recommendation – If you’re into innovative fantasy (There’s nothing like this one out there!) you’ll love this! However,  I definitely wouldn’t read Perchance to Dream unless you’ve read Eyes Like Stars, because you’ll be really confused.

The Other Books – Book Three, tentatively titled So Silver Bright, will be out… sometime. Next year, I think. Too long, anyway. I want it in my hands now.

The Vitals* – According to Borders.com, Perchance to Dream will be out May 25th, in hardback for $16.99.

The LinksThe Theatre Illuminata

 

*=All prices are from Borders.com and are subject to change without notice, and without this page reflecting those changes.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten a chance to read this series yet, but it seems like everyone's been raving about it. And you're definitely right...the covers ARE gorgeous! :) I'm glad you enjoyed the sequel, and thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series. It is so different from other YA books. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the cover! I have not started this series yet but it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cover is great and so was your review! I cannot wait to read Eye Like Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great reveiew.

    I cannot wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so lucky to get to read this book! nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is beautiful and it looks really good. I might get it next time I'm at Barnes and Noble! :D

    ReplyDelete