Saturday, March 13, 2010

Abadazad, the Road to Inconceivable by J.M. DeMatteis

Illustrated by Mike Ploog

Summary – Kate’s little brother Matt has been missing for five years. They both adored a series of books called Abadazad. After a mysterious chat with her neighbor, Kate is pulled into the mystical world she has read about in search of her brother. But Abadazad is not completely the whimsical place depicted in the books…

Rhia’s Review – I found this poking through Borders, and couldn’t resist checking it out. (It was marked down.) It’s part novel, part comic book/graphic novel, and the story is told as the diary of the main character Kate. It’s kind of a quick read (I think it’s on middle-school grade level) but it’s interesting.

The art is pretty nice, it kind of reminds me of the Disney movie Atlantis.

I tried to do some research on this book and it’s sequels (there are two). I don’t think it’s very popular anymore, I think the company might have gone bankrupt or something. Borders doesn’t even list it on their website anymore. I’m sure you can find out a lot more, but you’re on your own. :)

So, to sum up, it’s a really enjoyable read, and worth your time.

 

The Recommendation – If you like comic books/graphic novels and/or fantasy adventures, you’ll probably enjoy this, even if it is for younger readers.

The Other Books – I’m curious to follow the story, so I might check the others out if I can get a good deal on them.

The Vitals* – The only prices I could find were on Amazon, ranging from $0.01, to $10.00, (The 10 dollar one is signed.) so I guess you can pretty much pick your price.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I love your blog design, by the way--I followed a link from Kristen's Bit21stC Spotlight to get here. Yes, I do believe the series is out of print... I'll have to look out for it in the next batch of bargain blowout that comes in.

    ReplyDelete