Monday, February 4, 2013

A Dark Sacrifice by Madeline Howard

 photo a-dark-sacrifice_madeline-howard.jpg

One of the first books I'd like to review now that I've returned is one of those discount adventures I talked of previously. A Dark Sacrifice by Madeline Howard, book two of the Rune of Unmaking series, was a lot more than I expected.

I ended up with two copies of this book, one as a Christmas gift, and another copy I picked up myself from the Dollar Tree. I decided to make one copy my Car Book, and keep the other copy in the house so I could read it when I wasn't out of the house. (For those of you who don't know, I have issues with germs, so brining the book into the house is more trouble than it's worth, because I have to clean it, and then keep it wrapped in a towel while I read. It's a nightmare.) I don't usually keep two copies of books, but since I had them, I did just that. It turned out to be a very good thing.

Despite being the second book in the series, I was able to jump right into the story without much trouble. Howard delivers an introduction that greatly details the events of the first book, so much so, that I felt I had been there.

I really didn't have any trouble following the storyline. the story was connected to it, but it was also its own story, so it was easy to enjoy on its own. I fell in love with all the characters, and I was so captivated, that I couldn't wait until the next car ride to read some more. hence why i was so happy for the second copy. i just flipped to the right page and continued on.

it has been a while since I finished the book, but i can still remember how much i relished every word once i got started. I am even contemplating going back to read the first one. I am anxiously awaiting the third. This one left off with a major cliff hanger, and I am still waiting for my ship to come into port. The third one still hasn't been published, and I haven't seen any news in a while, but the first three chapters were posted to Teresa Edgerton's forum. (Madeline Howard is her pen name.)

The world of the Rune of Unmaking is one I will gladly lose myself in again. in fact, i can't wait to do just that. It had some very unique aspects, without falling victim to 'overdevelopment'. (I'll dedicate a blog post to that one day.) This is a series any fans of epic fantasy should not miss. It wasn't just a book I read. it stirred my emotions, and even helped inspire the tone of one of my stories. I can't wait to see what to see what happens next. And when I know more, I'll post about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment