Monday, August 22, 2011

Quick Review: Deltora Quest, Volume 1, by Emily Rodda.

Photobucket

Rhia’s Review - Deltora Quest has always been pretty much my favorite series ever. It was my replacement series between Harry Potter books. It was one of my first obsessions. It is still one of those series that I can call a foundation of my life, helping to shape me into the person I am today. I still think about it often, especially during the summer (I have fond summer memories of the series) and in fact was just thinking about the other day. So, when I was at Borders and saw it sitting on a shelf where it didn't belong, practically appearing right in front of me, there wasn't a single moment of hesitation in me before I snatched it. Literally.

I read it in two nights. I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed.

Volume one covers what I would call about the first half of the Forests of Silence. The art is not visually spectacular, which is important if the story has already been told, because it's the only new thing you have to offer. While I don't think the art is *bad* per se, it's just nothing special. Also, if I didn't know better, I would have sworn that Endon was a female. He looked like a girl when he was young, and a woman when he was grown. Including pearl earrings. It just wasn't right.

I know it has been a while since I first read the series, but something about the adaptation for the mange didn't seem right. I think all the major plot points were covered pretty well, but it wasn't told the way the story deserved to be told. I think it's because it is geared for younger readers, and it felt as though the story was told to simply.

The only thing I really got out of it was an urge to re-read the original series, and yet somehow I still don't regret buying it.

Recommendation- This manga version is probably great for young or reluctant readers, and may spark an interest in reading the original books, which would be a step up. And hardcore fans of the series and/or its anime adaptation may find a need to include this in their collection. (I did.)

the Other Books- At $10.99 each, I don't think I’m really interested in buying the rest of the series. Even with the going out of business sale at Borders, the price is still a little too high. If I could get them a little cheaper, then I might consider getting them to complete my collection. Otherwise, I think it’ll stick to the real thing.

The Vitals – You can pick up the first volume of the manage in paperback for $10.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment