Monday, February 8, 2010

the Hollow, by Jessica Verday

Photobucket

 

Summary from Borders.com - When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes, everyone thinks Kristen is dead. Caspian, the mysterious boy who shows up at Kristen's funeral, helps Abbey through her grief. Soon, however, Abbey learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend.

Rhia’s Review -    I like books that have something to do with a classic novel or story. I just do. It’s cool. Jessica Verday’s The Hollow takes place in Sleepy Hollow, the small town made infamous by Washington Irving’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Every chapter begins with a short quote from Legend, usually one having some small relation to the contents of the chapter. Win.

Abbey is a character I can really relate to. I’ve never been in her position before, but I see a lot of myself in her. But that’s really only one small reason why I love this book so much. The romance is perfectly proportioned to the rest of the book, having just the right amount of fluff, and none of it made me nauseous, even if the romantic interest of the story does belong in the ‘doesn’t exist’ category. There’s plenty of emotion in this book, and I just feel so close to Abbey when I’m reading, I know Jessica’s done her job well.

This book was not tied up all nicely with a bow at the end, unlike most books today, especially romances. But this isn’t a bad thing. It left me craving more of the story, and looking forward to the sequel even more.

Also, you can buy perfumes based on the characters (Abbey makes perfume in the book), which is one of the coolest things ever. In my humble opinion, of course.

 

The Recommendation – Everybody needs to read this book. Seriously. If you like paranormal, YA, romance, or any combination of them, get this book.

The Other Books – According to Borders.com, The Haunted, sequel to The Hollow will be out August 31st, but I don’t know for sure how accurate that is. The only thing I know is that I can’t wait for it. Definitely high on the buy list.

The Vitals* – The Hollow is out in hardback for $17.99.

The Links Official Website of the Hollow, Jessica's Blog

*=All prices are from Borders.com and are subject to change without notice, and without this page reflecting those changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment