Friday, June 21, 2013

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

First off, how could you not expect an awesome book by a person named Ransom Riggs? That’s a pretty cool name.

Quirk was amazing to send me a copy of the paperback to review here on Rather Be Reading, and I couldn’t wait to start it.

I hadn’t realized, for some reason, before I started the book, that it was classified as a YA novel. I haven’t been reading a lot of YA lately, and I was a little concerned that this wouldn’t be the mature, mysterious novel I was looking for for. Luckily, my concerns were completely unfounded! This was a very atmospheric, engaging story of a hidden world, and the amazing people who inhabit it.

There was plenty of darkness in this story, with the super creepy hollowgast and the brutal deaths they cause. However, the beautiful photographs and the peculiar children with their peculiar talents lend the story a certain whimsy, the kind that goes hand in hand with darkness. Which is something I enjoy in a story. and in the midst of all the danger and beauty, there is a story of self-discovery, the kind that makes you think, and makes you feel for the protagonist, without it being overdone.

the best thing about this book is the way it uses pacing. There is some very exciting stuff toward the beginning, and then the story slows down a little, as we learn about the world and the peculiars. In stead of being a blank, boring space in the story, however, as it might be in some, it’s a part of the story that is filled with meaning. Whereas some reviews might tell you that the story tapers off at this point, listen to me when I tell you that that’s it’s only just beginning. While not filled to the brim with dark atmosphere or chilling encounters, it is, quite possibly, the most important part of the story.

I really enjoyed Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. I’m looking forward to its sequel, Hollow City, due out next year.

Keep reading, fellow bibliophiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment