Tuesday, March 8, 2011

the Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Photobucket

Summary from Borders.com - In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Rhia’s Review – I started reading the Forest of Hands and Teeth the day before I met Carrie at DBF. I was really blown away! I even went ahead and bought the second book at DBF for her to sign before I finished this one! I was pretty confident that I’d want more, and I was right!

I really loved the mood of this book, and Mary’s voice really spoke to me throughout the whole book! While maybe the premise of Mary’s village isn’t totally original (fenced in tiny community with zombies or other evil creature raging outside),the story that takes place in it is something new. I loved the premise of the unknown breaching into Mary’s world, and her seizing chances and embarking on the adventure she did. While the ending leaves you hanging, with many unanswered questions, Carrie’s cliffhanger is done with finesse that enhances reading the second book, where old mysteries are slowly solved as they mingle with new ones.

Also, while being about zombies, the book didn’t read like a slasher film, with character being disgustingly killed off along the way. As someone who loves zombies, but not movies where the object is kill off all but one or two people, I really applaud that!

I am also among the people who are pleased with Carrie’s decision not to use the word ‘zombie’. It lends the book it own credit without being tied so much to the pop culture movement of brain eating zombies.

The Recommendation – I’d recommend this book to any zombie lover, and lovers of horror. The atmosphere is really great in this one!

The Other Books – The Dead-Tossed Waves, the second installment of the series, is already out. As I said, I couldn’t resist it, and the review is coming soon. The Dark and Hollow Places, book three, comes out later this month. I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy!

The Vitals* – The Forest of Hands and Teeth is available in paperback for about $9.99, and also hardcover for $16.99.

The Links – Carrie Ryan's official website

*=All prices are from Borders.com and are subject to change without notice, and without this page reflecting those changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment